Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Engine Hoist, convert to more useful crane.

I understand the replies about safety and how it would become unstable with
the load able to swing outside the wheel area and cause the crane to tip
over, etc. But, since this is a metalworking newsgroup, and most cranes
that I know of, including the 60 ton crane we have at work, are constructed
using metalworking, I don't agree with the replies that say I shouldn't do
it.

Instead of a reply like- "don't do it, it would be too easy to tip over", I
would think a better reply would be to advise adding outriggers to prevent
it from tipping over. The video to the Easy-Rig cranes show a crane
constructed similar to the cherry pickers but the "legs" spread wider and
out further for more stability. This being a metalworking group, and most
crane construction involves metalworking, not recommending doesn't seem to
fit in. I can design for the weight I want to be able to lift with a
sufficient design factor, then test out to 150% of the load I want to rate
the crane for. Like recommended, I can get a crane load cell and scale head
to test weight at different angles & positions.

I do realize the cherry picker as it is would be easy to tip over with a
tall boom, either from a high height load with a slight tip or a low height
load with a lot of cable, allowing the load to swing outside of the area of
the base. I'm thinking a better idea may be to make an A-frame gantry for
heavy lifts and a portable crane that could be stabilized through the
receiver hitch of my truck and perhaps an outrigger trailer jack. This
would work to load the truck and I could use the A-frame to unload at home.

RogerN