Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Thursday ITV 19:30 ... The cost of going green

The Other Mike wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 22:56:44 +0000, geoff wrote:

Just a heads up for anyone who hasn't noticed

"Jonathan Maitland looks at whether the Government's commitment to
renewable energy could increase our household bills"

So why is it going to take them a half hour slot? A handful of
seconds should be enough to prove beyond any doubt that greenwash
increases energy prices, reduces energy security, reduces system
stability and ultimately leads to total destruction of the economy.
it's not that I'm against green energy, but the energy sector is in a
mess and has been since Thatcher privatised it.

Its a pity that we haven't got someone in government with the big
enough balls to say no more consent for any gas fired generation, no
more incentives for wind turbines or solar. Someone that will stick
up two fingers at the Large Combustion Directive, and start building,
with public funds, a fleet of nukes in or very near cities such that
waste heat can be utilised, together with a couple of tidal barrages,
and expand use of our coal reserves rather than import.

At least one US reactor - I cant recall which one, was built, ready to
go, and then...the local authority said 'what plans have you for mass
evacuation if it melts down and cases a cloud of radioactivity everywhere'

I think they said, 'none,. because it cant'

It has been sitting there idle ever since. Several decades.

Then we get base load from nukes, a regular dose of renewables that
are very predictable,

well we have those. Tilbury wood burner, scottish and welsh hydro..but
there isn't really the possibility of much more than we have. Methane
digesters maybe and some trash burners..

That's it for *non intermittent* sources.

By the way predictability is irrelevant. We knwo the sun always goes
down at sunset and isn't there much in winter. That's predictable. It
doesn't mean that solar power is any the more useful as a result. We
still have to burn the coal in winter and at night to cover its
deficiencies.

fill in the gaps with coal and in the short term
gas, at lower cost than ****ing about with useless, countryside
destroying wind turbines and feed in tariffs for solar panels that
fleece us all (I'd revoke all the existing agreements too)

The **** hasn't hit the fan yet, but it's not far off.

gas in Europe is skyrocketing.

Its going to be Coaled! hahahah.