Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default PVC Pipe and Fittings--White, Gray, etc.

On Feb 8, 6:52*pm, croy wrote:
I have a situation (water filter mounting) where a couple of
3/4" x 3" NPT pipe nipples would work perfectly, but got a
shock when I saw the price on those in brass ($15 each at
Lowes). *So I decided to ues PVC nipples, but then noticed
on the tag, "For outdoor use only". *Of course, no
explanation why.

In scrambling to find other options, I noticed some very
nicely molded white PVC fittings, but they didn't have the
"For outdoor use only" tags. *But no nipples.

I've noticed that the gray nipples have a decidedly
different feel than the white fittings.

On some of the white fittings, made by Dura, I see (in some
embossed printing) "PVC-1". *I don't notice that in the gray
PVC nipples.

I've searched a lot on the web, but can't find an
explanation as to the difference between white and gray PVC,
nor why the gray is for outdoor use only, nor whether either
are ok for drinking water applications. *Even the Dura
website was silent on this.

Anyone?

--
Thanks,
croy

Would 3/4" x 3" brass nipples at $5.50 each solve the problem?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-pipe-nipples/=g647cv

or SCH 80 PVC

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pvc-pipe-nipples/=g64a0a

I wouldn't put too much credence in a notification tagged to a PVC
fitting as to its universality.
But OTOH if the mfr says "outdoor use only", I'd take them at their
word.... perhaps it is CYA disclaimer.

White, grey or black PVC (SCH 40 or SCH 80) all are suitable for
plumbing.... check Ryan Herco or McMaster.

Sunlight resistant PVC conduit is a light grey.

In your case I'd bite the bullet & get brass or use SCH 80 grey PVC
nipples.

cheers
Bob