Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default sweating copper

wrote in
:

Tubing and copper pipe are 2 totally different situations. Tubing is
thin like the fitting. Even Type M, which is the cheap light crap with
the red stripe is heavier than most fittings, while the blue L and
green K type are a LOT thicker. In a lot of heat exchanger units the
manifolds/fittings are significantly thicker/heavier than the tubes.

You should stick to subjects you know something about; this isn't one of them.

I just miked a piece of 1/2" copper pipe and a 1/2" coupling: the pipe wall measured 0.023" and the
wall of the fitting 0.040". So tell me, which is the larger heat sink, the pipe or the fitting which is almost
seventy-five percent thicker than the pipe?