Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

Default Increasing Cable TV signal strength

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:24:06 -0600, amdx
wrote:

Now remember the problem is quite intermittent, but seems to be
happening almost daily for short periods.

Monitor the signal levels at the set top box and see if it coincides
with something nearby changing, such as the dock lights or operation
of heavy machinery. Maybe shove a DVM (digital voltmeter) into the AC
power and see if it moves around.

There should be no water in the cable, it's only a couple of months
old and both ends have crimp on connectors and are located in a box or boat.

I don't like crimp type connectors. Push on connectors are MUCH
better. Also, if the coax came from Radio Shack, all bets are off as
to the quality.

It does have diagnostics, I'm not sure if it is each channel though.
But I can get some info out of the box. I'll be there Friday and I'll
get that info and the model of the cable set top box.

Digital set top box diagnostics are different from analog. Instead of
per-channel levels, it might have levels for specific channels.

I'm using Comcast at the boat. We are lucky here (I think) in that
we have a choice of two cable companies.

If it's Comcast, you will probably still have the lower 72 channels
doing analog. Remove the set top box and plug in your TV directly.

Drivel is good.

The story of my life.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com