Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default sweating copper

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 16:16:46 -0600, cjt wrote:

Some of us still have a stash of the good stuff.

I hope you don't use lead solder on pipes carrying potable water.

The house I lived in for 15 years had a lead main water line, as did
hundreds of other houses built at that time in the late 40s. Millions
of homes have copper and lead soldered joints. I don't know of
anyone that was affected.

I drink water every day at work. The copper was installed in the 50's
or so.

I bet that just dashed your hopes and dreams.

I do believe that minerals in the water coat the insides of pipes and
basically seal the lead in. Of course, I could be wrong but I could have
sworn I read that somewhere, sometime. o_O

TDD

obviously tens of thousands of people grew up in lead soldered copper
plumbed houses or STILL live in them. It obviously is not a problem.

There's nothing "obvious" about it. Imagine how much better things
could have been.

Better that what? I grew up in Philadelphia where tens of thousands
of houses had lead pipes and/or lead soldered copper. I never saw a
problem from it.