Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah gonjah is offline

Default Why is older dishwasher not washing well?

On 2/8/2012 3:19 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
gonjahgonjah.net writes:

On 2/8/2012 2:19 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
Robert writes:

Jim wrote:

LOL. The Weekly Standard. You're so ****ing stupid. ROTFLMAO!!!
Just picked a source I thought you could understand. There's plenty of others.
Go ahead - make your well reasoned counter argument.
Robert, that whole thing seemed to deal with the politics in Spokane.
I got the impression Spokane is willing to do just about anything to
keep their river pristine. Hell, if I had a house right on the river
you bet I'd feel the same way.

There are plenty of lakes and rivers with algae blooms. Some of those
blooms are entirely natural but many can be traced back to phosphate
release by humans. Farming is by far the largest culprit for
leaking phosphates.

Someone was just complaining about corporate farms.
I just read that corporate farms laser level their plots and computer
control their chemical applications. So they contribute less per
acre than the average farm.

When the government asks me to chip in and help, I'm willing to try.
My dishes are clean with off the shelf detergents so I have no
complaints.

It's been my experience that algae thrives on VERY low amounts of
phosphates (they are measured in ppb, or parts-per-billion). I manage
salt water aquariums and a swimming pool so I have daily interaction
with phosphate and nitrate tests. Any small spike of phosphates can
cause a bloom so any amount of phosphate reduction is helpful. "Zero"
phosphates works the best in my experience.

Salt water tanks, way too much work.

I had freshwater for 25 years before I got it out of my system.
Algae was a constant issue but I grew plants in the tank so the
best control I found was snails.

Algae battles in the pool are something else I'm familiar with.
But I didn't know you could control phosphates, my kit doesn't
measure for that. I nuke the pool with chlorine if algae gets
out of hand otherwise the various algae control products seem
to work. The blue stuff appears to be copper, not sure what the
stuff that looks like oil is.

Sal****er tanks are pretty easy to maintain. I have soft corals and a
few fish. It's all about live rock. The more the better. Snails help a
lot too.

You can get a phosphate test at a aquarium place or a pool supply store
online. However, it's been my experience, it you have algae, you have
phosphates. Someone here turned me on to PR10000 for the pool. I can't
imagine a better phosphate remover for the price. You don't kill the
algae, you take away the source of it. Shocking is primarily for
sanitizing the pool. I don't use it at all for algae control because I
never get any to speak of anymore.

Find some PR10000 online and get your water tested at a pool store for
phosphates or get a test. I have a 10000 gal pool so if I see any algae,
or after a rain, I put in about 2 tbsp of
PR10000. Good Stuff. Phosphate test can be tricky and need to be done
carefully. False negatives are pretty common.

I don't know about the store but this is the stuff.

http://shop.aquaspas.com/browse.cfm/...over/4,87.html