Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design
amdx amdx is offline

Default Increasing Cable TV signal strength

On 2/8/2012 2:36 PM, Fred Bloggs wrote:
On Feb 8, 2:00 pm, wrote:
Hi All,
I'm on a boat, about 170ft from the utility post.

That's about 10dB loss at midband for RG6.

Recently our cable company switched to the wonderful world of
Digital TV. I got the new digital converter and had no picture.
I took the box back and got a second box, still no picture. So now I
suspect a weak signal and confirm that it is the cable length. The cable
company came out and gave me a better cable than I had installed. At
this point I have a picture but it is intermittent. The signal at the
utility post has 3 outputs and had a four way splitter, I suggested the
cable guy put in two 2 way splitters and give me the stronger (first) tap.

That was just a 3dB boost.

But that 3bd did get me a more consistent picture.

That got my signal to work almost all the time. I'd like to get the
signal to work 100% of the time.