Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Plumbing CPVC to blue pipe

On 2/8/2012 10:29 AM, Bob123 wrote:
On Feb 8, 6:28 am,
wrote:
On Feb 8, 6:08 am, wrote:

On Feb 7, 10:15 pm, wrote:

On Feb 7, 5:39 pm, wrote:

I have a buried water line with is 3/4 blue pipe, probably
polybutylene, that was put in 30 years ago that I need
to connect to 3/4 CPVC line.

I’ve heard that regular CPVC couplings and cement are
not a good way to do it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make
the connection properly ?

Thanks

Sharkbite connectors work with poly and cpvc.
Jimmie

Yes. I looked up the website and saw the connector and it
looks like it will do the job.

Do you or trader4 have an opinion on whether the Sharkbite
works better than a crimped Poly/CPVC connection ??

I've seen a crimping tool for about 40 bucks and might come
in handy in the future, and the Sharkbite connectors are
around $9 each for 3/4, so a crimped joint would be about
a wash in cost for my present application....

Thanks. Bob123- Hide quoted text -

I don't have any experience as to which is better.
But my guess would be that since you have an
old plastic pipe that is known to fail because of
deterioration of the plastic, that the Sharkbite or
similar where you can better control the amount
of pressure the fitting is applying would be better.

If it were me, I'd consider replacing the poly out to
the curb. But that also depends on the consequences
if it fails, ie exactly where it's located and what would
happen if it suddenly bursts.

Thanks,
After reading lots of stuff, I've decided to find my
my mattock and spade and dig another trench for
CPVC to the meter head....
Sometimes, claptrapping stuff together, when there's a
lot of "disagreements" as to the quality, is best approached
by working one's ass off for a few hours....
Fortunately, I only have 50-60 feet to dig... and I don't
have a "frost line" in my location and no required inspections
so I only need 12 inches of depth ------

I can do that in 5-6 sixpacks......

Thanks to all for the opinions.

.... Oh, and if any other readers have some knowledge
of a better way, which is easier, and more reliable....
please reply to this thread with your information...

Bob123

i'm not sure cpvc is rated for burial. You'd be a lot better off with
3/4 soft copper. That's the standard at least where i live, it's required.

--
Steve Barker