Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default Nikon Coolscan III problems

On 08/02/2012 17:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
How does this carriage know its relative position, and I suspect if the
drive is slipping its somewhere in that drive and thus the slippage is
misaligning the sensor.

Brian

As far as I can see the initial reference position is found by moving
the carriage to the back where there is possibly some sensor, optical or
otherwise. Then step back a known number of steps to achieve the
reference position. This all works fine. It is when it tries to move
back to this position after focussing that it fails to get there and the
problems ensue.

Andrew