Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal,uk.rec.gardening
Cynic Cynic is offline

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:38:25 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

Okay, so we should have moved to Ireland, where there were no jobs for
me and away from my parents who may need support from us soon enough.

If needs must, you would have had to live separately most of the time
and see each other only on occassion. It's what many people have to
do - oil rig workers, soldiers etc.

I don't have any problem with paying to help those in need, although I
do object to supporting those who have never had any intention to try
and support themselves.

The difficulty when the support system is based on government edict is
in separating those who are genuinely in need from those who are not.
*You* may have had no reasonable options, but other people may well
take a government handout when there are other solutions open to them.
Sure, every applicant could be vetted - but that in itself takes a
great deal of time and manpower (=money), and there is still no
guarantee that people are not playing the system.

You obviously are very much of the "I'm alright Jack" ilk and are not
willing to provide support for others who are struggling through no
fault of their own and do not have the support networks to assist them.

I would love to be able to support all the unfortunate people in the
World. But I do not have the resources to do so, and so my charity is
focussed on the people I know rather than millions of complete
strangers.

In fact, government support is what *stops* people helping their
family and neighbours in many cases. Why should I help the struggling
single mother next door when the government is already taxing me to
destitution in order to provide all the help they tell me she needs?

I have noticed that countries that do not have such a benefits system
have communities that are closer and less anti-social than countries
in which the government is supposed to supply all the help anyone
falling on hard times needs.

I'm pretty right-wing myself and feel that far too much is paid out in
benefits to those who only ever take, but I do feel that society owes
care and help to those who are unable to help themselves through age,
illness or infirmity - or for those who are normally productive members
of society, but are temporarily unemployed.

As said, it is difficult to differentiate between the two - unless the
people you are helping are known to you personally so that you can
make a continuous assessment as to whether they are really in need or
whether they are taking advantage of your generosity.

--
Cynic