Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Metal theft. The biters bit

In article ,
hugh ] wrote:
When I bought my first house in 1969 wife's earning were ignored and max
mortgage was STRICTLY 3 x earnings and 80% of purchase price. To get a
mortgage you had to join the queue and you couldn't even get in the
queue unless you had a savings record.

Same here - in the early '70s. And not all building societies would lend
on a house this old - it's Victorian and 1885. Luckily found a London one
which would.

Interesting point was the house was valued at less than the rebuilding
costs. So had to pay insurance based on the latter higher figure. That's
been index linked ever since, and they now sell for 3 times today's
rebuilding cost...

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.