Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.rec.audio,uk.tech.broadcast
David Looser David Looser is offline

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in message
In message , David Looser
writes:
[]
Well it might, but in practice there don't seem to have been many problems
caused by not harmonising spectrum use with the the continent. To be
honest
I think the government made the right decision, the limited VHF spectrum
available in Bands 1 & 3 would only just have been enough for one extra
625-line TV channel.

[]
? - one on band I and at least one on band III, surely? I lived in (West)
Germany in the 1960s and '70s, and I'm sure we could get at least two
channels on band III (yes, I know B and G channels are narrower, but not
that much).
--

In the UK Band 1 was divided into 5 channels which, with care, could just
about support one national TV network. (a few low-power fill-in transmitters

With 8MHz channels that would reduce to 3 which I suggest is not enough for
one national network.

Of course if you are only looking for local coverage you could run several
networks in the available spectrum. But the argument was that VHF gave
better national coverage than UHF. If that is the aim then, I suggest, you'd
need both Bands 1 and 3 to give truly national coverage of just one network.
Its probable that it would be possible to add a second network that only
covered the main population centres, as Analogue Channel 5 did on UHF.

David.