Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jethro[_5_] Jethro[_5_] is offline

Default Timer switches and washing machines

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 01:19:11 -0800, Keefiedee wrote:

Can someone shed any light on this as it is puzzling me? Looking on
eBay for "UK 3 Pin 24HR 24 Hour Timer Programmable Mains Wall Home
Socket Plug-IN Switch", these are generally rated at 3200 or 3000 watts
- yet they all look the same, and the one with the 3200 rating also
includes a warning that it is not to be used for washing machines -
which is exactly what I do want it for. I haven't scrabbled round the
back of my washing machine to see what wattage it is, but I can't see it
being more than 3000 watts, so why should there be this warning?

Keith

These timer switches tend to be just 2 pieces of contact that touch and
release. Anything with a big motor in it will be an inductive load, which
will cause arcing, and could fuse the contacts together. You'd need the
timer switch to switch a contactor relay which you plug your washing
machine into.