Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Commercial (shop) lighting - recommendations?

On 07/02/2012 23:27, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
Adrian writes:

Yes - thanks. Sounds like a mix of spot& fluoro is the way to go.
My folks ran a gifts / jewellery / clocks& watches shop back in the
80's - and I remember Dad saying that, some days in the winter, the
spotlights cost more than the shop took... so we want to avoid that
scenario if at all possible...

Found a document from Sustainable Energy Ireland

http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Your..._Guide_FNL.pdf

which more or less discounts led lighting other than close-up for
localised lighting (which was my experience with the display stand).

That document is way out of date on LED lighting.

Ah - OK

Many stores are now switching to LED lighting to save money
over fluorecent. However, I didn't suggest it for you because
it's a significant capital investment up front, which doesn't
fit your constraint. LED lighting will get more efficient
and capital costs will drop, making it more viable as time
goes on.

I suspect that there's going to be a big gap between 'what we'd like'
and 'what we can afford'. Very early days, yet - and the project's based
on a co-operative model, where the shop's running costs are split
between the participating members. In return, they are not charged the
normal shop / gallery commission on their sales. We need to keep
members' initial costs low, to avoid frightening people off!

It's possible that finances will become less 'tight' in future, but, at
the moment, it's going to be a matter of installing something that looks
reasonable....

It'd be great to be able to throw a couple of K at the lighting - but
then we'd be bust before we'd opened!

I had very good results at shows with a couple of 150w halogen
'mini-floods' - but they look a bit agricultural for 'gallery' use. Also
- at the shows, 'somebody else' was paying for the electricity!g

If you really must use filamant lamps anywhere, use 12V
halogens. However, you won't find filament lamps in any
professionally designed store lighting scheme. The spots
will be metal halide, 20W upwards, and LED for anything
less. The boundary between the two will creep up over
time.

Does the SEI doc still hold true about the 12v 35w halogens VS the 12v
50w devices ?

So - given our (initially) restricted budget - you'd recommend 12v
halogens ?

Thanks
Adrian