Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default sweating copper

wrote in
:

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 14:41:58 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

teabird wrote in news:b0ed7e7e-d0ed-4988-9825-
:

Hello,

I have some 1/2 inch type M copper pipe and 4 90* elbows that I'm
sweating together for practice. I've cut some 8 inch pieces and
yesterday was able to solder one end of each ell to 2 tubes. It
took a few extra tries but I was able to draw the solder into the
joint pretty well. There was alot of smoke created, white and brown.
I'm using yellow canister (Map gas?), cleaning the joints with
emery cloth, flux and using lead free solder.

Are you also using a MAPP torch? You won't get a proper flame if you
try to use a bottle of MAPP gas with a propane torch.

Today I can't seem to get the solder to draw in. I've prepared the
joints as before and am attempting to create a square with the tubes
so this time the ell is connected to 2x 8 inch pieces. I also
notice that even though the solder is eventually melting it is not
drawing in the joint, and when it hardens it has a yellow color to
it.

Where are you applying the heat? A common mistake is to heat the joint
between the pipe and the fitting. Always heat the fitting only: the
pipe will get plenty hot enough anyway.

You always heat the biggest heat sink first - which in this case is
the PIPE. The fitting is smaller and thinner and heats faster.

Garbage.