Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default OT unsigned title

Ignoramus465 wrote:
Until he can shift WITHOUT the clutch he's no trucker - and he can't
drive a standard either.

Give the guy a chance, He hasn't needed the clutch other than to stop so
far...

I could shift a little bit without clutch, but only when speeding up.

I went out for an OTR job about 5 years ago with a local outfit. Went to
the office and they looked at my logs, talked a bit and told me to take
a ride with one of the drivers in the yard. Guy strolls in, says let's
go and we go out to a NEW Mack. Complete with a nice new Mack
transmission. Jumped in and listened to a LOT of gear grinding, and this
was the guy who drove this truck all the time!
We did a D&H and switched seats. Surprised myself by not missing a
single shift. He told me that if I took the run I'd probably be in the
city for 6-8 months doing yard turns. Got back to the yard and missed
one down shift by a couple teeth. Went inside and told them that I would
take the job with a couple conditions. City time was going to be cut
back since I already had a LOT of road miles and I would take any
tractor they had as long as it had a RoadRanger trans and no dogs ass on
the hood.... I HATE Mack engines and transmissions.

--
Steve W.