Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus465 Ignoramus465 is offline

Default OT unsigned title

On 2012-02-08, Steve W. wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:01:26 -0500, "Steve W."

On 2012-02-07, Jim Stewart wrote:
I never had trouble taxiing - left brake = turn left, right brake =
turn right.
I had a horrible time getting my brain wired to that.
Which brings up a related question. For 17.5 years, I drove cars with
automatic transmission. This is what I learned to drive in the first
place.

Now that I have this semi tractor with non-synchronized manual
transmission, I have great troubles adjusting my brains to operate the
transmission.

I am used to just driving, thinking about stuff, and using the gas
pedal only.

I am wondering if operating a manual trans is a skill that can
actually be learned, given my age of 40 and my past conditioning of
driving auto trans.

Is there any hope or not?

Unless you're a brain dead idiot it isn't hard top learn. BUT If you
really want to learn take a driving class for trucks. Usually successful
completion of a class also gets you reduced insurance costs and you get
real world practice actually driving.

Be advised that you will NOT be "just driving, thinking about stuff,
and using the gas pedal only" in a rig. If you do that you may as well
plan on crushing a few cars and having lot's of trouble. In a rig you
need to pay attention ALL the time. Even a minor slip with 20-30 tons
will do a serious amount of damage.

You have learned how to double clutch correct? If not I hope you have
lot's of money to repair/replace transmission parts.

Double clutch?

Until he can shift WITHOUT the clutch he's no trucker - and he can't
drive a standard either.

Give the guy a chance, He hasn't needed the clutch other than to stop so
far...

I could shift a little bit without clutch, but only when speeding up.