Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT unsigned title

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 13:52:37 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
... Listen to the engine sounds. They will tell you when to shift up or
down. Someday you will even learn to shift without using the clutch. Good
skill when you are all alone in the boonies with an inoperable clutch.
Paul

My mother taught me that, and double-clutching when the synchros fail. I've
lost the clutch twice and I'm glad I learned.

Dad taught me to listen to engine RPM in the various gears at various
rates of speed. Once I got that, I could use the clutch only for
stopping. The pedal never went down unless I needed to hit first, or
stop and back up. Amaze your friends by moving the gear shift between
gears, both upshifting and downshifting, with no clutch and no
grinding at all! My old Corvair was easy since I had put Cherry Bomb
turbo mufflers on it. I could hear the engine rpm easily from the
exhaust but it wasn't the _blatt_ of straight-throughs.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin