Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT unsigned title

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:47:21 -0600, Ignoramus465

On 2012-02-07, Jim Stewart wrote:
I never had trouble taxiing - left brake = turn left, right brake =
turn right.

I had a horrible time getting my brain wired to that.

Which brings up a related question. For 17.5 years, I drove cars with
automatic transmission. This is what I learned to drive in the first
place.

Now that I have this semi tractor with non-synchronized manual
transmission, I have great troubles adjusting my brains to operate the
transmission.

I am used to just driving, thinking about stuff, and using the gas
pedal only.

I am wondering if operating a manual trans is a skill that can
actually be learned, given my age of 40 and my past conditioning of
driving auto trans.

Practice makes perfect. Go rent a little car with a manual
transmission and practice driving that, and only that, around town for
a week or two. You'll then climb back into the truck and it will be as
familiar to you as driving an auto trans is now. I agree with lots of
teachers that immersion is the best way to learn after age 5 or so.

Is there any hope or not?

You just learned to do CNC programming, right? There's hope, Ig.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin