Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT unsigned title

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 23:00:45 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 19:36:57 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:29:26 -0800, Jim Stewart
wrote:

rangerssuck wrote:
On Feb 3, 9:14 am, "Jim wrote:
"Larry wrote in message

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 07:32:37 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:
Backing a trailer straight across an open parking lot is a challenge for
me.
It's hard to reverse your thinking and drive counterintuitively, isn't
it? "To move the trailer to the right, turn the steering wheel to the
left." Then I look at double and triple trailers and get all goosey.
For me the worst one was trying to taxi a Cessna 152 with the toe brakes. I
can't leave a straight wake behind a sailboat either.

jsw
I never had trouble taxiing - left brake = turn left, right brake =
turn right.
I had a horrible time getting my brain wired to that.

I've been told that if you sledded and built soap
box type coasting cars at an early age, which I
did, your mind takes an almost permanent intuitive
conditioning that right foot means go left and left
foot goes right.
Driving a farm tractor, and in particular ploughing, trains you for
right foot = right, left foot = left.

And road racing trains you for heel-and-toe double-clutch downshifting
while trail-braking at the same time.

I don't recommend that Iggy starts there. I wonder if I can still do
it? d8-)

I was faced with that test last year when a gent asked me if I wanted to
drive his dirt car. Told him I was a bit rusty since I hadn't been in a
seat for over 3 years. Amazed me that my body still knew the tricks, BUT
I don't recall ever hurting as much when I got out of the seat.....

It's been almost 30 years since I even tried driving on a track, and
40 years since I was racing. No way I'm trying that again.

--
Ed Huntress