Posted to alt.home.repair
Gil Gil is offline

Default Aerators for homes with low water pressure?

On 07/02/2012 7:35 PM, Bob F wrote:
EXT wrote:
"Steven wrote in message
I often have chronically low water pressure throughout my home,
and the faucet aerators with their flow restrictors make the water
flow even worse.

The flow restrictors seem to be integral with the new-model aerators
and can't even be removed.

Are there aerators I can buy that are suitable for homes that
already have low water pressure? Either higher-flow flow
restrictors, or removable flow restrictors, or none at all?

All that crap about low-flow aerators and low-flow toilets and
low-flow shower heads doesn't seem to apply to homes like mine,
which have low water pressure to begin with!

What you really need to know is whether you actually have low
pressure or low flow which can mimic low pressure when a valve is
open. You need to use a pressure gauge to see what you actual
pressure is when water is not used and again when faucets are turned
on. Look in the irrigation area of your local BORG store for a
pressure gauge that fits onto a garden hose faucet. This way you can
check pressures without changing the plumbing to install a pressure
gauge.

Or, for at least a clue, what color is your nearest fire hydrant. If it is
green, you probably have pipeing issues. If it is Yellow, or worse, red, you
nead to deal with it from the "low flow faucet problem" angle.

At least, where I live, the hydrants are color coded by pressure.

I think if you check with your local fire department you'll find that
the hydrants are colour coded as to their flow capacity, not pressure.
Pressure by itself is meaningless. What counts is pressure remaining
(residual pressure) while water is flowing. In other word a hydrant on a
6" water main is going to have a lot less flow capacity than a hydrant
on a 20" main assuming they both have the same static (no flow)
pressure. Hydrants are colour coded as to the number of gpm's available
from them. Usually it is just the bonnet (top) and port caps that are
colored, but local custom or jurisdiction may dictate that the whole
hydrant is colour coded.