Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Screwing Versus Nailing Studs

Vic Smith wrote in
:

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:29:54 -0800, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

dpb wrote:
On 2/5/2012 9:47 PM, gregz wrote:

I tried nailing by hand, that does not work. Everything shifts....

Certainly were a lot of houses (and much larger structures as well)
built that way, somehow... :J(

Those guys that swing hammers every day know how to drive a nail. The
theory behind it is simple enough to understand, but until you've
driven a few thousand of them, you don't know how to do it.

Even that don't help sometimes.
I was helping my brother put in a entryway sound barrier wall in a
Chicago tavern one time. About 30 years ago.
Neighbors complaining about the band music when the door opened.
Basically adding a 12' wall and second door.
Neither of us were carpenters, but he was GC and knew the bar owner.
There's a "real" carpenter pounding down Old Style at the bar.
He was ragging on me off the bat when I was cutting 2x4's with my
cheap-ass bushed Craftsman 6 1/2" circ saw. It's a loud SOB.
"You ain't no carpenter!"
Probably a union guy, but I didn't ask.
I had to restrain my brother from kicking his ass.

First nails I drive setting the first stud in bent.
Maybe 5 in a row.
Carpenter is squawking "Can't even drive a god damn nail!"
I'm saying the stud is way too hard or my nails too soft and I'm about
to toss the stud out.
The carpenter is saying, "You ain't no ****ing carpenter."
He was mocking, trying to embarrass me, and it was working.
Because I wasn't a ****ing carpenter.
Then he says, "Let me get my hammer," and walks out.

Must have had his car right outside, because he's back in 30 seconds
holding his hammer.
My brother is saying "Get the **** outta here," and I had to grab him
to keep him off the carpenter.
I'm saying, "Let him drive some nails," and figure even a drunk real
carpenter is fine if he's working for us free.
So the carpenter starts bending nails just like me.
Never drove a nail through that stud.
After about 4 he just walks out saying nothing and doesn't come back.
My brother loudly cusses him on the way.

The guy was probably all spooked, thinking he lost his carpenter mojo.
It was funny as hell to me, but my brother is still ****ed if I
mention it. He's a lot different than me.
I tossed that stud and had no more problems.
Hardest pine stud I ever saw. Twice as heavy as normal.

Toe-nailing is a little tricky.
Use your foot on the sole to brace, and don't hit hard until the nail
has found its path in the sole.
Tap even more lightly at the header until the nail is biting it.
That's what I did, but I'm not a carpenter.
When I'm in no hurry,

Put a drywall screw in, nail up, leave or remove screw...if you're not in
a hurry.

I've tacked scrap wood cleats on either side of
the stud before toe-nailing. Then just pull the scrap right out.
That works. No need to be a real carpenter.

I still use that Craftsman circ saw, loud as the bushings scream.
Just keeps working.
I'm sure that carpenter is dead now, but not my cheap-ass saw.
I think about him when I use the saw, and say RIP.
When and if I ever get a new circ saw, I'll say the same.

--Vic