Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Aerators for homes with low water pressure?

"Steven L." wrote in message
I often have chronically low water pressure throughout my home,
and the faucet aerators with their flow restrictors make the water flow
even worse.

The flow restrictors seem to be integral with the new-model aerators and
can't even be removed.

Are there aerators I can buy that are suitable for homes that already have
low water pressure? Either higher-flow flow restrictors, or removable
flow restrictors, or none at all?

All that crap about low-flow aerators and low-flow toilets and low-flow
shower heads doesn't seem to apply to homes like mine, which have low
water pressure to begin with!

What you really need to know is whether you actually have low pressure or
low flow which can mimic low pressure when a valve is open. You need to use
a pressure gauge to see what you actual pressure is when water is not used
and again when faucets are turned on. Look in the irrigation area of your
local BORG store for a pressure gauge that fits onto a garden hose faucet.
This way you can check pressures without changing the plumbing to install a
pressure gauge.

Low water flow can be caused by partially closed or blocked valves among
other things or more commonly from limed up galvanized water pipes.