Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Why is older dishwasher not washing well?

On 2/7/2012 4:01 PM, Jim T wrote:
On 2/7/2012 3:44 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 2/7/2012 1:02 PM, dgk wrote:
On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 06:32:02 -0600,
wrote:

Doc wrote:
Have a Hotpoint dishwasher from 1988. Still seems to run fine but does
a hit and miss job of cleaning. Leaves a noticeable film on glasses on
the top rack, is hit and miss on plates. Doesn't seem to matter what
detergent I use.

As far as I can tell there's still a strong jet of water getting
sprayed, gets plenty hot but it clearly seems to be less effective.
Any insights as to why this is?

In the past year or so, dishwasher detergent manufacturers, in
obeisance to
the green gomers, stopped making detergent with phosphate. This
condition
can be easily remedied by adding phosphates to your detergent (it's
like
adding two fresh eggs to a cake mix).

And they did this terrible thing because they wanted dirtier dishes?
Perhaps it was because shoving phosphates into the sewer causes
problems elsewhere, but selfish ****heads don't care about the
problems they create for someone else as long as their dishes shine.

and mine dumps out on top the ground as it tee's into my lateral line
downstream of the septic tank, then daylights about a 100' feet out.
AND i'll keep putting TSP into my DW detergent whether you treehuggers
like it or not.

At least you are aware of a problem. I don't know how much of a fix that
is though.

what problem?

--
Steve Barker