Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default Removing broken hitch ball : Epilog

On Feb 7, 12:11*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
Winston wrote:
wrote:

(...)

Another use for the (tiny) screwdriver - works well if it is the
traditional shape - do the whole batch of disks and be done with it
till you buy another batch.

Upthread, I mentioned that I normally have multiple arbors
with discs attached so that I can swap discs quickly
when I'm in the middle of a project. That works a treat!

This Just In! *I used a loose drill chuck just now as
a pin vise to grasp the head of the arbor screw.

Now I can thread the cutting discs on to the screw
quickly and easily.

That made my day!

--Winston

I tend to load my discs by laying them on a chunk of wood that has a
small hole in it. Set disc over hole, push screw through slide arbor up
through hole from other side to catch screw and tighten down a bit.

I also have saw blades, diamond wheels and sanding discs all loaded up
as well.When I buy new stuff I usually buy kits so I get some extra
arbors for buffing/sanding drums/wheels.
One thing I have found with the cutting discs is that if you install a
small O-ring or rubber washer on each side they don't break as easily.

--
Steve W.- Hide quoted text -

The good mandrels come that way, with a cushion washer or two. Also
are a close fit on the cutoff disks without needing a whole lot of
persuasion to go through the hole. If they don't have a washer, the
hole in the disk wallows out, eventually the screw wears at that point
and the mandrel becomes useless as well as busting a lot of disks. So
be careful with cut-rate mandrels. The ones that usually come with
the HF all-up hand grinder accessory sets seem to last OK. I was
buying those for like $8 for a 100+ piece set at one time, they want a
lot more now. Each had a pile of cutoff wheels plus several mandrels
for same as well as a lot of lesser used pieces. They all worked fine
with the mini-die grinders. Usually have several of those rigged up
at any one time to save time when changing grinding points. A whole
lot faster setting one down and picking up another rather than digging
out the collet wrenches.

Tip:
Punch a hole in each wrench and string some beaded chain between, then
you'll have an exact copy of what Foredom has for their collet
chucks. No more lost wrenches and they can be hung on a hook on the
bench.

Stan