Posted to uk.d-i-y
thirty-six thirty-six is offline

Default How old is too old for brake fluid and how do you test it? Tyre pressure gauges

On Feb 7, 3:30*pm, Clive George wrote:

On 2012-02-03, *wrote:

In ,
* * Tim *wrote:
Dennis's suggestion makes some sense although I don't see why water
should ever invade the brake system. Just develop a fluid which does not
boil readily and is not hygroscopic.

I'd imagine that people have been trying to do that for many years.

And they have succeeded; DOT5 silicone fluid. It's never caught on.

I saw it on the shelf of the factors but thought it was some specific
requirement due to oddball Citroens and Rolls-Royces. *Is this usable
in systems designed for DOT4 *and may old systems be changed to DOT5?

Proper Citroens use a mineral oil based fluid for their brakes, not DOT

Yep, I had one of those moments, mineral oil it is and with the
Rollers.

5. They're also proper power brakes - the pedal opens a valve, rather
than actually pushing fluid in a cylinder.

Magura and Shimano bike brakes use similar oil, Hope and others use DOT
fluid. Which means I've got 6 vehicles here which use hydraulic brakes,
only one of which uses DOT, and I hate looking after the brakes on that.