Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel[_4_] Doctor Drivel[_4_] is offline

Default How old is too old for brake fluid and how do you test it? Tyre pressure gauges

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
thirty-six wrote:
On Feb 2, 10:25 am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes

Trouble is these days I bet most people just put fuel in and don't
do any other maintenance it just goes in for a service every 10,000
miles plus. Modern cars don't need anything like the molly coddling
they did 30 years ago.
Huh!

Try telling that to Ford who want brake fluid changed at 2 years!

regards

--
Tim Lamb

I believe there is a way to test the brake fluid but I'm not entirely
sure what is being tested, oxygen content, acidity?

water content is most important.

water turns to steam in hot brakes. NOT good. it also corrodes
cylinders.

I believe synthetic brake fluid does not absorb water, or little of it.