Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SIMPLE electrical job. Cost via electrician? chg direct-wire to plug & socket

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 20:32:13 +0000 (UTC), (David
Combs) wrote:

In article , RBM wrote:
On 2/3/2012 5:01 AM, micky wrote:

This is not a furnace, or furnace/AC, it's a steam boiler, and a crude
one at that. The 24 volt gas valve is controlled by the wall thermostat.
There is a pressure switch or switches that limit the steam. That's it,
no ignitor, it's standing pilot, but he does have a draft inducer fan
that needs line voltage.

Looks like I need some education he

What's a "furnace" vs a "steam boiler"?

The thing we have is this big boiler, I guess, with a pipe
going (out of the top, I think) *up*, to the floors above.

Provides zero heat (via hot water or steam or whatever) to
the same floor (basement) it is sited in.

Now, what's a "furnace", and how does it differ?

Finally, what's a "furnace/AC". I suppose that's one
of those horrible! "heat only via hot air" things that
uses the same air-conduits for hot or cold air.

("horrible", because there's no heat via *radiation* --
just via conduction from nauseatingly-hot air surrounding
your (clothed, ie insulated from the hot air) body,
WHILE at the same time your body has net OUTWARD radiation
to the windows and, in old houses, walls. OK for Florida,
*maybe*, but a real loser for anywhere it gets cold.)

David

Forced air heat is VERY common in the cold (normally) Canadian
climate.

Radiant floor and ceiling heat works too - but hot air is "the norm" -
and it WORKS.