Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default I'm curious how 'bad' these (hopefully minor) mistakes are in laying sandstones

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:51:59 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

I'm sure nothing is perfect - but - I'm curious how bad these obvious
(after the fact) mistakes are in laying mortar & sandstone on a concrete
footing.

Here are some bubbles that come up for a few minutes after spraying the
newly laid stone with water:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7508817.jpg

Mix too wet. You can't pour mortar.
You can patch it later if it troubles you.
..
And, this crack developed overnight against the foundation wall:
http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7508819.jpg

Mix too sandy.

And, this stone was laid with almost zero distance to the foundation wall:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7508821.jpg

I realize not much can be done for these three errors ... but ... since I
have 20 more stones to go ... what SHOULD I have done to not make these
mistakes in the first place?

Try to keep the joints at least 1/2" wide.
Always use spacers where it looks tight.
You might need to chisel it out later for repair.
Use measuring pails to get a consistent mix.
Don't try to eyeball it.
Don't mix more than you can use in about 45 minutes or less.

--Vic