Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Lessons learned on my first alt.home.repair mortar & flagstonejob! (thanks to all)

On 2/6/2012 1:17 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
On Sun, 05 Feb 2012 08:57:08 -0800, Oren wrote:

Along the same lines

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention I'm learning that snapping lines is critical.

So I bought a chalk line and started snapping away.

The edge against the wall is easy to get the runoff slope:
http://picturepush.com/public/7508968

But how do you get the slope away from the wall lined up?
(I snapped a line on the form but I'm positive that form will move as I
jostle it about.)

Note: I used hard plastic tubing for a joint spacer (which I can pull
away while the concrete is wet, I hope).

This should leave a tunnel for water to flow outward if more cracks form
in the connection between the wall and the stone mortar.

the same way you slope a patio.

you pound in sticks in each corner, then connect them with string,
making the string be the top level of the flagstone. you tie off the
string so that it is your slope.