Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default What tool do you use to make parallel lines when cutting flagstone(or anything)?

On 2/3/2012 9:17 PM, Chuck Banshee wrote:
I can't believe I'm having trouble with drawing parallel lines of un-
square objects such as for cutting flagstone. What tool do you use?

Here's a sample problem I had today:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7485167.jpg

All I wanted to do was draw a line parallel to the edge of the stone
which was further out than the width of the ruler.

None of the edges are square, so the square failed me.

Ace Hardware said they had no tool for drawing parallel lines. At Home
Depot, I bought this "angle-ize" contraption - but it stinks like you
can't believe (for a whole bunch of reasons).
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7485171.jpg

So, may I ask ... what tool do YOU use to draw parallel lines (where none
of the angels are square)?

PS: I ended up marking distance from the edge and drawing the lines
connecting the dots ... but there MUST be a better way.

a stick with a hole drilled in it. put a pencil in the hole, one end of
the stick on the side, and pull along.