Posted to alt.home.repair
Duesenberg Duesenberg is offline

Default Screwing Versus Nailing Studs

When you're doing low-volume or custom work, or as a home-owner, a good
argument can be made for screws and a power driver (cost/benefit, etc)
vs swinging a hammer.

When you're a contractor or framer, you're interested in speed, and a
power nailer and compressor are expensive but give you speed.

I use screws for all the out-door projects I have. Sure makes it
easier to take them apart when they've served their purpose.

I had a contractor build build an elevated deck and stairs at my place 2
years ago. Canada, so the deck takes abuse from the weather. He used
nails. i asked why not deck screws and he simply told me that the
coated screws do not work as advertised and that he could use screws but
would not honour a 5 year warranty on workmanship.

He only gives a warranty if he can use nails. And it's just plain old
green pressure treated lumber.