Posted to alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default Screwing Versus Nailing Studs

mcp6453 wrote:

I'm watching Holmes. In many cases, his crew is screwing studs where
other shows I watch use nails. Is that a Canadian thing, personal
preference, better, worse, or what?

Here's a very short thread on the subject:

http://www.construction-resource.com...ead.php?t=6905

Framing screws have been around for a few years now.

It's something that's constantly debated in construction forums.

Nails are more ductile - meaning they can bend quite a bit before they
break. But nails can be pulled out easily.

Screws tend to be more brittle, meaning that they can break more easily
when a bending or shear force is applied to them.

That said, there are apparently framing screws designed to meet a lot of
building codes.

When you're doing low-volume or custom work, or as a home-owner, a good
argument can be made for screws and a power driver (cost/benefit, etc)
vs swinging a hammer.

When you're a contractor or framer, you're interested in speed, and a
power nailer and compressor are expensive but give you speed.

I use screws for all the out-door projects I have. Sure makes it
easier to take them apart when they've served their purpose.