Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default SIMPLE electrical job. Cost via electrician? chg direct-wireto plug & socket

On 2/5/2012 10:06 AM, Horace Greeley wrote:
On 2/5/2012 9:43 AM, RBM wrote:

I'm not offering an opinion, merely citing code. If you have a problem
with the Nec, contact the folks at the NFPA, who write it.

Again, it passed inspection. I'm happy, the AHJ is happy and my
insurance company is happy. When the power goes out in the winter and I
can plug the furnace into the genset, even my wife will be happy.

I really don't give a rat's ass about your silly opinion. Get it?

Again, I'm just citing Nec, and while your AHJ is well within his
authority to allow this type of connection on your particular heating
system, it is not necessarily an acceptable practice in general.
This, being a DIY newsgroup, I think it's important that readers know
the difference between the actual code, and someone's opinion. So, for
your benefit and everyone else's, here is the actual text of the code
along with a note from the Nec handbook:

Nec 422.16 Flexible cords

(A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the connection of
appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange or to prevent the
transmission of noise or vibration or (2) to facilitate the removal or
disconnection of appliances that are fastened in place, where the
fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to
permit ready removal for maintenance or repair and the appliance is
intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

Nec handbook note: It should be understood that a cord-connected
appliance is required to be specifically designed mechanically and
electrically, to be readily removable for maintenance and repair.

Maybe you can interpret the above to mean that you can slap a cord and
plug on a cast iron oil burner, but frankly, I don't see it.