Posted to rec.woodworking
Stuart[_5_] Stuart[_5_] is offline

Default Festool power tools.

In article ,
Swingman wrote:
Actually, that was done about ten years back and presented as a paper to
AES:

http://jn.physiology.org/content/83/6/3548.full

Fascinating.

What I will freely admit is this:

As a musician (guitar player) I used to stand next to the piano in church*
- not a Steinway (sp?) or anything posh but a decent enough instrument. My
one time singing teacher has a baby-grand in her front room. I have never
heard any recording reproduced on any system, or any electric piano, that
sounds quite like a real piano. Whether that is because I am
sub-consciously responding to the "hypersonic effect" of content in the
live sound I have no idea but it is fact.

As a chorister I don't expect any record-replay system to give me the same
experience I get standing/sitting underneath a pipe organ when the
organist chooses to give the instrument "a good work out" either -
especially with the pedal notes - but there are many reasons for that.

*Regrettably we had a vicar who became obsessed with electronic keyboards
and his successor was no better, so the piano is no longer used in morning
worship. I now worship elsewhere in a morning and it still only a Yamaha
Clavinova but that's because we meet in a school hall and have to set-up
and take down our "church" every Sunday.

--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
http://www.asciiribbon.org