Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Festool power tools.

On 2/5/2012 4:49 PM, Stuart wrote:

I don't /believe/ any frequency beyond the upper limit of hearing matters
either, unless it gets hetrodyned down, but I would be interested in, and
open to, hard scientific evidence either way.

Let me put some perspective on it:

Spending literally thousands of hours mixing recorded content of all
types, for commercial release and airplay, takes an unbelievable amount
of focus and concentration on all aspects of "sound" that very few folks
will ever have the opportunity to either practice or experience.

The overriding task and problem that must be solved when doing so is to
do it in such a manner that the resultant audio "mix" will _transfer as
accurately as possible_ AND over the greatest number of speakers and
playback systems that it may be played back upon.

IOW, just because it sounds good in the control room does not mean that
particular mix will _transfer_ to the outside world.

This ability to effect this _transference_ is the coin of the realm and
the keys to kingdom of success in the recording industry as an engineer.

This is a daunting task that requires an unusual amount of attention to
all aspects of audio and the principles of human hearing, as well as a
keen ear for differences in harmonic content, both within and without
the audible range of human hearing, as well as a keen sense of "timbre"
of instrumental sounds.

Again, this ability is what makes or breaks a recording engineer,
particularly if he also mixes what he has tracked.

Trust me ... those good enough to do this task well have the ability to
use HFC to their advantage.

I would put my life on it ...that's how convinced I am and firm in my
beliefs. I've lived it, and I've walked the walk, anyone who has not can
only have an opinion on the matter, but that's all it is, an opinion.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010