Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Festool power tools.

On 2/5/2012 4:49 PM, Stuart wrote:
In ,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
Certainly true. The fourth harmonic would be at what is considered to
be the "limit" (a few can hear significantly higher than 20kHz) of human
hearing. OTOH, the second harmonic of 15kHz is *way* outside the realm
of human hearing and as such doesn't matter at all.

I don't /believe/ any frequency beyond the upper limit of hearing matters
either, unless it gets hetrodyned down, but I would be interested in, and
open to, hard scientific evidence either way.

That is exactly what these guys are saying in effect.

I've got a lot of respect for this old timer, contemporary of Rupert
Neve, and an excellent audio designer:

http://recordinghacks.com/articles/t...-beyond-20khz/

Here is some more food for thought in that regard:

http://skreddypedals.com/digital_sucks/Ultrasonics.htm

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue52/ultrasonic.htm

Needless to say, care would have to be taken in the design of the
headphones used to ensure they could not affect the result.

Actually, in quite a few studies since, headphones turned out to not be
of benefit in HFC being important to perception of audio quality ...
strange as that may seem. I'd have to dig up a cite, but I clearly
remember reading that in an AES paper because of "who woulds of thunk
it?".

None are flat and certainly none are flat from 50Hz to over 20kHz.
Earphones have ridiculous resonances, even the professional types.

Which is why I said they would have to be specially designed.

Using the human ear in this way, as measuring instrument, could have
some quite interesting results though we would have to improve on
current techniques, which require the skull to be opened up for brain
surgery!

I'd like to see some serious double-blind tests on audiophool stuff.
Nothing I'd love more than to see Monster, and its ilk, bankrupt.
"Copper free", my as

As far as cables are concerned, the only thing that matters at audio
frequencies is the resistance, and that is simply measured. Keep it low to
maintain a good damping factor and all will be well.

I agree with that ... AAMOF, it was the first thing I said in the
thread. I am not a proponent of Monster Cable, but I do know from
practical experience that every link in the audio chain needs to be
designed to work together, and extension cord as speaker cable simply
does not fill that bill. Good quality speaker cable, of the proper gauge
and length for the application and components, yes.

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010