Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Festool power tools.

On 2/4/2012 11:33 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 09:29:19 -0600, Steve
wrote:

On 2/3/2012 7:37 AM, Dave wrote:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 06:15:30 -0600, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
Don't buy cables at all for your speakers, buy 14 gauge copper lamp cord.
Basically all cables sold at the typical sound store are an extremely
high mark up item. I have a source for cable that needs to have ends on
it that makes up cables for about 20% of what you pay at a retail store.

Actually, there is a measurable sound difference when you use the
better cable. But, unless you're a trained sound engineer who hasn't
lost any of his hearing, then cable like Monster cable is a waste of
money for the rest of us.

After all, we're woodworkers who have been hammering nails all our
lives and putting up with the screaming of cheap dust collectors.
(until we bought our Festool dust collectors). So, most of us have
lost our fine edge of hearing a long time ago.

I don't know about the sound levels of dust collectors. (if i had a
permanent shop, the collector would be outside and noise not an issue).

Rethink that. Dust collectors move a *lot* of air. Unless you don't mind
replacing that air (and heat), this might not be such a good idea. My
compressor lives in the garage, though.

BUT, i can assure you that copper is copper and no amount of money
spent on a name brand cable will change the sound coming out of a speaker.

Right. There is no money to made from over-estimating the intelligence of
audiophools, though.

And the dust collectors are not really an annoying noise, typically
quieter than any of the machines that they are hooked up to.

One odd exception however is my dust collector and my stationary planer.
Neither are bad by them selves just running and not working but both
together seems to triple the noise at the planer.