Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Cat 5 limits

Cat 6 is what is needed in shielding area. Look it up - it is upgraded.
I added the plenum spec to have a hard wire wrapped and a hard shield
over it. That allows pulling it without snagging it on connectors and
tearing the impedance out of the wire :-)

Martin

On 2/5/2012 2:23 PM, David R. Birch wrote:
On 2/5/2012 8:08 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:
On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 12:05:30 -0800, "Steve wrote:

I want to run a hard line Cat 5 out to my shop. It will be inside PVC.
What is the limits of length of Cat 5 before you start running into
problems? I'd estimate it at 150' run.

Steve

The only time I've had a problem with CAT 5 at this length is across our
shop where we're running 2 4kilowatt and one kilowatt LASERs. Lots of
RFI, so I used shielded cable.

David