Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET is offline

Default Engine Hoist, convert to more useful crane.

On Sun, 5 Feb 2012 10:10:48 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

I have an engine hoist similar to this one:
http://www.ruralking.com/engine-hois...m-midwest.html

It's useful within it's range but I was thinking about making some parts to
adapt it for more height, so I can load and unload taller things out of the
back of my truck.

You might be better off making a wooden gantry crane. Some call them
a "lifting horse" like a giant saw horse. There are several ideas on
lifting things in this post at Practical Machinist:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...5-post1553677/

Make sure you click on the "more replies below" in the list of
messages at the top of the web page in order to see all the replies.

The one that Forest Addy describes has 4x4 legs and a 4x8 cross member
around 10' long. Unfortunately no pictures of the ones he made. I
wondered about the bracing from the legs to the cross piece.