Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Engine Hoist, convert to more useful crane.

"RogerN" wrote in message

I have an engine hoist similar to this one:
http://www.ruralking.com/engine-hois...m-midwest.html

It's useful within it's range but I was thinking about making some parts
to adapt it for more height, so I can load and unload taller things out of
the back of my truck.

RogerN

Mine has tipped over a few times at its original 9' max height.

You can decrease the wasted headroom above bulky sling loads by attaching a
load leveler to the tip of the boom as a spreader.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-c...eler-5402.html

Be very careful that the load doesn't swing when you roll the crane back. If
a projected line from the hook down through its center of gravity passes
outside the wheelbase it can pull the crane over.

My experience with consumer-grade rigging and hoisting equipment suggests
that it has little or no margin and if modified should be derated
substantially and if possible proof tested with a load cell.

jsw