Posted to alt.home.repair

Default SIMPLE electrical job. Cost via electrician? chg direct-wire to plug & socket

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 15:04:58 -0500, Horace Greeley
wrote:

On 2/4/2012 1:23 PM, RBM wrote:

You miss the point entirely.A typical residential central heating system
is fed with a 15 amp circuit. Despite the Nec violation in connecting
the appliance with cord and plug, it is also a Nec violation to install
a 20 amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit. It has nothing to do with the
quality of the receptacle itself, or the cord for that matter. There are
extremely high quality 15 amp receptacles, and hard service cords rated
for 15 amp as well. Any electrical inspector would know this.

We all know what they say about people who make assumptions.

The only circuits in my home that are 15 amp are the lighting circuits.
ALL receptacles are 20 amp on 20 amp circuits.

And FWIW, my 70,000 Btu Lochinvar gas hot water heater came from the
factory with a 120v plug on it. The literature states my water heater is
suitable for use as a space heating appliance.

They all plug in, they all passed inspection.

You can ****in' nit-pick all you want but there's not much difference
between my 70,000 Btu water heater and both my 60,000 Btu gas furnaces.

http://www.lochinvar.com/_linefiles/...ual%202011.pdf

AND - using a 20 amp plug would ENSURE the furnace would not be
connected to the genset with an 18 guage extention cord.