Frank Ketchum

Default What type of wood is easier to router - plywood, pine, or pine laminate

"C. Bailey" wrote in message
I am undertaking my first wood working project. I want to put some 1/2"
rounds in the wood with a router. I haven't selected my building material
yet. I am going to paint the finished product. Should I go with 3/4"

(good
one side), or a 3/4" pine laminate, or standard wood? Will there be a
significant difference in my ability to cut a 1/2" round (to dress up the
edge)? I've already noticed some tendancy of the router to "walk away"

from
knots. I'm thinking the laminate could be difficult to work with. I have
never tried plywood - is it any better?

I would only use plywood as you suggest if I first put a solid wood band
around the edge. If you are worried about knots, carefully arrange your
stock so that you won't have to rout through knots. Or better yet, use
clear, knot free pine. Or, since you are painting it, you can use MDF, but
this stuff is nasty and I hate having it in my shop.

Frank