Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default What tool do you use to make parallel lines when cutting flagstone (or anything)?

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 12:06:43 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 05:24:35 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 04:17:40 +0000 (UTC), Chuck Banshee
wrote:

I can't believe I'm having trouble with drawing parallel lines of un-
square objects such as for cutting flagstone. What tool do you use?

Here's a sample problem I had today:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7485167.jpg

All I wanted to do was draw a line parallel to the edge of the stone
which was further out than the width of the ruler.

None of the edges are square, so the square failed me.

Ace Hardware said they had no tool for drawing parallel lines. At Home
Depot, I bought this "angle-ize" contraption - but it stinks like you
can't believe (for a whole bunch of reasons).
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/7485171.jpg

So, may I ask ... what tool do YOU use to draw parallel lines (where none
of the angels are square)?

PS: I ended up marking distance from the edge and drawing the lines
connecting the dots ... but there MUST be a better way.

With so many flagstone walks not using parallel sides, and this being
your first time, why not only make the outer edge of the walk
straight, and use odd shapes everywhere else. It would look more

Just Googling images for "flagstone" shows almost none with parallel
lines. Like you say, the outside walk is parallel with the other
side, but the inside cuts are not.

I did see one with just square tile, but it looked factory cut.

traditional, more like you made it yourself, more real, not like you
bought premade platic-flagstones. And take a whole lot of less time,
plus no wastage, which is bound to happen even for a pro trying to
make parallel lines.

That is gonna be a lot of weed eating.