Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Granite Counter Tops

On 04 Feb 2012 14:06:30 GMT, Han wrote:

mcp6453 wrote in
:

Are granite counter tops a fad? Synthetic solid surface materials seem
to have a lot more appeal to me, but I don't know much about them.

My wife has indicated that she might want some sort of butcher block
counter tops. Are those in vogue any more?

After more than 10 years we still love the Silestone countertop we have.
No maintenance other than a little detergent and water. No sealing as with
granite. No problem putting hot pans from the gas stove on the counter.
No scratches from cutting veggies directly on the surface.

Not all granite needs sealing. I've never touched ours and there are no
stains whatsoever. Silestone is too soft. Quartz is a really nice man-made
solid surface.

I like the look of butcherblock, but our kitchen is too small. If you
really like wood cutting surfaces (and I do, but don't have them), I'd
suggest small or big cutting boards.

Or at least an easily replaceable section of a butcher block counter, or
better, an island with a prep-sink.