Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default shower head

John Carter wrote in
:

N8N wrote in

m:

On Jan 23, 3:21*pm, "Doug" wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 11:59:16 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Jan 23, 2:46*pm, "Doug" wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:22:46 -0800, Oren
wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 10:48:32 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

Recently (maybe 6 months ago) I replaced my 14 year old moen
shower head with another moen shower head. * When I first
replaced it all worked fine but now I'm noticing some
streams of water thru the head go in another (slanted)
direction rather than straight. *I live in a hard water area
(Houston suburbs) so I expect this is the cause. * I've seen
in the past saw tv commercials to solve this like using
CLR. *I'm hesitant to believe the commercials so I ask
here. *One thing, I h ave gold metal trim on this shower
head so I don't want to hurt the gold trim (perhaps shiny
brass??). *Suggestions?? * *Thank you.

White vinegar will dissolve the sediment in the shower head.
*Cost less than CLR. Soak the shower head in a bowl of
vinegar.

Yes, that's what I decided to do for the time being. * I'll
see how it goes tomorrow after 24 hours soaking. * My next
approach will be to use a paper clip in holes if needed only.
* Thanks Oren... *your h elp here and earlier posts are
helpful ... thanks!!- Hide quoted text -

Paper clip might be too big.

I've used a sewing needle in the past.

Maybe, don't know yet. *Next option is a sewing needle.
thanks.

Acetylene torch tip cleaner? should be inexpensive at your local
welding supply. That's assuming you have one of course. Not sure
if the Big Boxen sell them... but it's basically a little metal
thing about the size of a matchbook with little abrasive coated
metal pins in different sizes that fold out, much like one of
those cheap Allen wrench sets.

nate

I am an N scale railroad modeler. I use these minature drill bits
and pin vises all the time.

I get mine from Micro-Mark http://www.micromark.com/ .
I am not associated with MicroMark in any way wxcept as a customer.

household VINEGAR will remove those mineral deposits,and cheaper than CLR
or Lime-Away. all of them are mild acids.

did you bother to check the Moen website? maybe they have cleaning info.

the "gold"(brass?) plating may be titanium nitride,and not much is going to
harm that.
brass plating would need a coating to prevent tarnish,TiN doesn't tarnish.

"John Carter";interesting....
are you familiar with Edgar Rice Burrough's Martian series?
Have you seen Princess of Mars or John Carter of Mars?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik