Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Cat 5 limits

"Steve B" wrote in message
.. .
I want to run a hard line Cat 5 out to my shop. It will be inside PVC.
What is the limits of length of Cat 5 before you start running into
problems? I'd estimate it at 150' run.

Steve

Like others have said, you are supposed to be able to be able to run cat 5
cable up to 100 meters. At work we have over 60 acres under roof, for long
network runs they have boxes that have a Cat 5 RJ-45 connection plus a fiber
optic connection, a box like that on each end of the fiber optic gets
plugged into the network with cat 5 cables. You probably wouldn't need
anything like that but if you found the equipment (2 cat 5 to fiber optic
converters and fiber optic network cable) cheap on ebay or something, it
would give you a quality connection.

RogerN