Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Small 4 jaw independant chuck?

In article ,
"coffelt2" wrote:

Couple of years ago I got lots of help here deciding what brand of
scroll chuck to get with my new small Jet lathe. There were lots of really
good suggestions and pro's and con's about what others found good and bad
about those currently available. I settled on a compromise, based on
reputation and cost. The Nova turned out to be a pure delight, since my only
experience (many years ago) had been with spindles between centers and using
faceplates for anything else.
A few days ago, I wanted to turn the end of a few pieces of 5/8"
dowel..... I did get it done, but used methods no body should ever
consider. I really wanted a four jaw independent chuck (not a scroll type).
Combing through the internet and catalogs, choice of smaller 4 jaw chucks
seemed very limited. Sure, there were lots of metal working chucks that
would certainly fill the bill, but are terribly expensive (and some required
machine shop work to make adapter plates to fit my lathe).
What options are there for work on small round, or irregularly shaped
pieces (not using the tailstock or faceplate? I think the simplicity of the
scroll chuck has completely spoiled this old man.

Old Chief Lynn

Since you already have Teknatool, take a look at their plastic jaws.
Those can be machined to fit. Of course it doesn't make each jaw
adjustable, other then machining each jaw different.
http://www.novatoolsusa.com/NOVA-Soft-Jaw-Set-6021.htm

You could take something like 1-1/2 MDF and make your own machinable jaws

Back to the 5/8 dowel

Have you looked into Collet Chucks?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...pprentice_Coll
et_Chuck___app_collet?Args=