Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Question regarding plumbing

On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 18:45:00 -0500, "83LowRider"
wrote:

There has been a few periods of hammer lock (pipes
beating/banging). Tho not certain, it seems these

You mean water hammer, not hammer lock. no locking involved.

I havent' read the rest of the thread, but it sounds like you have low
pressure. Could you put in your own, underground so it won't freeze,
water tank, which would fill over time and provide pressure all the
time. It has to be higher than your house, though maybe only one
flight higher** OR

In NYC, city water pressure is enough for 4 flights or 5 and if you
have 6, you have to put a combination pump in the basement. It's a
tank with air in the top. As water is used, a pressure gauge turns
on the water pump, to keep pressure in the tank, which propels the
water to the 6th floor.

As the air in the top of the tank dissolves in the water, an airpump
turns on, much less often, to replace the disolved air, which is
carried away in the water.

The only ones I've seen have been expensive and enough for 50
appartments. Maybe there is another version for houses.

The owner of my building iddnt' know how it worked, and when someone
flushed the toilet, the shower turned burnng hot. That's when I
switched to taking baths, because I didn't get burned then.

**Buildings higher than 6 stories have a tank on the roof,. maybe on a
stand on the roof. And a water pump in the basement to get the water
up that high. Like a water tower in a small town, but each building
has one. When they have dramas set in nYC with helicopter views of
the city, you can often see the tanks, though often they are behind
decorative walls.

may have happened before the water heater replacement.
Hammer lock has not come into play for the last year at
least.